Gluten Free Daily Menu #2
June 30, 2017
Here’s another example of what we eat at our house. I’m still not finding the diet super restrictive. I love to cook, and I think almost everything we already made was gluten free. The biggest change for us is lunch. No more sandwiches. 🙁
We did just purchase ingredients to make gluten free flour. We are going to try converting our sour dough starter to gluten free. I’ll let you know how it goes!
Breakfast – Steel Cut Oatmeal (stovetop method, base recipe), Cinnamon Apples, Toasted Cashews, Coffee & Water (of course!)
- The boys (and I!) love cinnamon apples. I peel and slice the apples thin, put in small sauce pan with a couple tablespoons of water and cinnamon, and cook until soft. Add cinnamon until your liking. These are deliciously sweet without any additional sugar. When we’re running low on fresh fruit near the end of the grocery cycle, this is our go-to breakfast.
- The cinnamon apples also pair very well with sausage.
- The cashews are black spotted because I’m lazy and didn’t wipe out my cast iron pan before toasting. Just trying to keep it real, folks. 😉
Lunch – Egg Salad with lettuce and crackers, carrots and dill dip, and a green smoothie
- This is my go-to lunch if I’m craving a sandwich. I make the typical filling for the sandwich, egg salad in this case, then eat it by scooping it up with lettuce or crackers. I honestly love it this way. I just don’t tell myself it’s a sandwich because it so isn’t.
- Green Smoothie: 1 cup water, 1 whole apple, 2 kiwi, 1ish cup of pineapple, and a whole bunch of kale (I fill my pitcher to the top. I’ll take a picture one of these days). Blend until smooth. I add more pineapple if it’s tasting too “green.”
Dinner – Smoked Bratwurst, Roasted Broccoli, Wilted Leaf Lettuce Salad
- The smoked brats are complements of my wonderful husband. He is king on the grill/smoker. I don’t know how he made them, but we agreed, these were the best ever. They are Kirkland brand brats (Costco store brand) smoked over apple wood.
- Roasted Broccoli (my new favorite way to eat it!) – Toss broccoli in olive oil, salt and light pepper then roast at 425 for 15-20 minutes (until desired doneness) then sprinkle with lemon juice. The lemon juice is key! It turns this veggie into delight to eat! I did substitute lime juice in a pinch one night, and that worked just fine too!
- Wilted Lettuce Salad – Folks, this is the way to eat salad – covered in bacon grease! Recipe complements of Zach Gembis.
- a large amount of leaf lettuce, torn/chopped
- 3-4 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled, reserve grease
- a large amount of green onions, chopped (4-5 store bought, 2-3 homegrown)
- 1-2T brown sugar
- 3T cider vinegar
- 1.5T water
- Cook green onions in bacon grease until starting to wilt, stir in sugar until melted, stir in vinegar & water until all combined. Pour over lettuce and bacon crumbles, stir to wilt, then serve immediately, warm.
- Delish! We added queso fresco and cashews this time because it sounded good. You need to try this salad! You can eat a TON of greens because they are partly wilted. I never knew a warm, wilted salad could be so good!