I finally have a home office area! We have a long skinny living room, and the front door opens into this large room. To make the room cozier and more conversation-friendly, the living room furniture is arranged around the fireplace on one side of the room. This leaves a rather large entry area and a VERY undefined space. We decided to take up the area behind the living room furniture with our new and improved home office!
Here she is now!
Oh happy day! The desk gets daily use by Dan and I, and I am loving the devoted space to blog, work on the budget, or waste perfectly good naptime on Pinterest. 🙂
Here are two of my favorite things about this area so far (besides the desk…that takes the cake, of course!).
1. Brass Lamp – Who knew brass/gold would come back in fashion? I love this HomeGoods find! The light it casts is great too…not too bright and large enough to illuminate the whole desk.
2. My First Word/Scripture Art – I made this all by myself folks! This verse from Psalm 90 struck me in my bible study through Moses this year (Bible Study Fellowship, I highly recommend it!). I thought it would be so appropriate above a work space, asking the Lord’s blessing on your work…whatever that may be!
I’m still working on styling the shelf above the desk. It is functional (always my goal), but it comes off a bit cluttered right now. The shelf is also a different style than the desk, and I’m not sure if I’m bothered by it or not. I already had the shelf, so I wanted to use it. Hmmm…ideas? I love having note cards and pens in plain sight. I’m way more likely to write that thank you note with these items close at hand!
I tried to use things that I already owned to decorate this space. The only new things are the gold frame (Ikea), the desk lamp (HomeGoods), and the ceramic box on the desk top (Target). Everything else I already owned. I love shopping my home for decorations! It feels good to move things around or put things to use that have been sitting in a closet/furnace room for 2 years. Anyone else slow on the decorating wagon? I actually forgot I had the gerber daisy print…it was under the basement stairs, covered in dust. Oops.
Future plans for the space:
- reupholster the desk chair – So exciting but a little intimidating…I’ve never tried upholstery before!
- add a rug – not sure about this one. The large area will have me contemplating how to pull this off without competing with the living room or front door.
- tweak the decor – again, not sure I have the best selections on the shelf/desk. It will be a work-in-progress for a while!
I love my office space! What good function have you added to your home lately?