Here’s another “day in the life” so to speak. What do we eat on this gluten free/fresh-as-possible diet?
Well, let me show you…
Breakfast: scrambled eggs, bacon (burnt, of course), and a green smoothie (or brown, if you will)
- The bacon is burnt because it always is when I cook it! Too many things going on! I actually like it burnt too so I’m not too motivated to change. Ha!
- Green (Brown) Smoothie: 1 cup water, 1-2 cups strawberries, juice of 2 limes, 1 big bunch of Swiss chard. Chard + strawberries = brown. Luckily my kids don’t know brown to be a yucky color! I show their breakfast also so you know they eat what I eat. No special meals here!
Lunch – kimbop made from leftovers, carrot sticks and dill dip
- Kimbop is a Korean dish. It’s rice (plus veggies or maybe meat) rolled in kim (roasted seaweed wrap). We love it, and I like to use up leftovers in this way for lunch with the kids. The chicken is from our previous dinner of Adobo Chicken and the brown/white rice mix from that meal too. Take a small amount of each plus a little spicy if you wish (ssamjang in the middle of the plate), roll it up like sushi and devour in one bite. Yum!
- The carrots can be dipped in the ssamjang, eaten plain, or with another vegetable dip.
- See the kiddos love this meal too! They like to ask me to take their picture while they say some silly made up word. I can’t remember the word from these photos but it makes for genuine smiles!
Dinner – Smoked Kielbasa, Wilted Kale and Roasted-Potato Winter Salad, Strawberries
- We LOVE this kale and potato salad recipe. I’d made double of the dressing though. Ours above only had 1x the recipe, and it was a little dry. Although, it was probably dry because I used 2-3x the kale. 🙂 Gotta get those greens in somehow!
- The kielbasa was homemade by a friend. Dan smoked in on our grill. I have no tips for you on this. It appeared cooked and delicious on the table, like magic!
Snack/Dessert – Fresh Strawberries and Homemade Whipped Cream
- Our boys are in the habit of getting a snack right before bed, so this was their snack. Delicious, no?
- I love whipped cream, but due to the diabetes, try to keep extra carbs out that I don’t need. This whipped cream is only heavy cream plus a 1/2-1 teaspoon of vanilla. That’s it. Guess what? You’ll never miss the sugar when it’s on sweet berries like this! Yum!
All this food and what do I notice? Where is your bookshelf behind the dining room table?
Ha! We are building a buffet. It’s 6 months in the making so far! Everything is in boxes waiting for the new cabinet.
These are great! I hope you start doing a “daily food” post every week or two again!
I’m glad you like it! I think I will start it again. We do eat a lot of variety because I get bored easily. 😁